With Christmas and New Year’s Eve just around the corner, holiday parties and family gatherings are in full swing—and in many cases, those events involve alcohol. The holidays are meant for relaxing and spending time with loved ones. But getting behind the wheel after drinking can put you, your loved ones, and your holiday traditions at risk.
There’s no excuse for drunk driving in 2018. Law enforcement and public health agencies have spent years educating the public on the dangers of impaired driving, and there are more options than ever for getting a safe ride home. In addition to appointing a designated driver or calling a cab, holiday revelers now have the option of arranging rides in seconds using their smartphones and ridesharing apps.
What Are the Risks of Impaired Driving?
Information from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration explains that the dangers associated with drinking and driving only increase as the level of intoxication, or blood alcohol content (BAC), rises:
- 0.02 BAC—Impaired judgment, difficulty tracking moving targets, reduced ability to multitask
- 0.05 BAC—Impaired fine motor skills, reduced coordination, slower reaction times
- 0.08 BAC (legally impaired)—Impaired reasoning skills and memory, poor concentration and focus, difficulty regulating and maintaining speed
- 0.10 BAC—Significantly impaired reaction time and control, increased difficulty maintaining a lane
- 0.15 BAC—Impaired balance, difficulty performing routine driving tasks, reduced attention span
Higher levels of intoxication significantly increase the risk of being involved in an auto accident, but even small degrees of impairment are enough to result in crashes. Don’t risk it this holiday season. Get a safe ride home.
Serving Injury Victims in Louisville
At Sam Aguiar Injury Lawyers, we know that even the most cautious drivers can be involved in accidents due to someone else’s negligence. We also know that an accident or injury can happen at any time—that’s why we’re available 24/7. If you need legal help after an auto accident in Kentucky, contact the Louisville car accident attorneys at Sam Aguiar Injury Lawyers today.
We wish everyone a safe and happy holiday season!